Learn how to support your digestive system naturally with essential oils. We will discuss:
- Top essential oils for digestive health
- Digestive support with essential oils protocols & recipes
- Supplements for digestive health
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. This includes some affiliate links and I may earn a small commission on products recommended at no extra cost to you.
Essential oils can be very helpful for our digestion and supporting the digestive system and ease digestive distress.
The digestive system is how the body retrieves and absorbs nutrients, such as vitamins and minerals, from the food we eat. Although the digestive system is often just associated with the stomach and intestines, it’s actually a lot more complicated than that.
Today I am going to focus on helping you use essential oils for digestive support and ease symptoms of digestive distress.
What is an essential oil?
- Essential oils are aromatic volatile compounds found in plants, seeds, bark, flowers and trees.
- Essential oils help protect the plant and thrive and we get the same benefit when we use them.
- One drop of essential oil is 50-70 times more potent than herbs. When pure, they are very potent and concentrated.
- LESS IS MORE! They work best when used consistently in smaller amounts to support our body systems.
I use doTERRA because they are the most trusted, tested and safe essential oils on the market. Look for the label on each bottle that indicates how to use it. If it’s safe for internal use you will also see a Supplement Facts label with directions for use.
Using pure essential oils internally is not only safe but recommended for digestive support. It needs to be stressed that most essential oils on the market are full of synthetics and are not safe for internal use. As we go over these protocols I want to make sure that the essential oils you are using are safe for internal use. Most of the essential oils on the market today are full of synthetics and are not safe for internal use.
This advice is for informational purposes only and not intended to diagnose or treat disease. If you have questions or concerns, I encourage you to seek advice from your medical provider.
9 essential oils for digestive support
- Cardamom – take in a capsule or apply to abdomen.
- Frankincense – rub a drop of Frankincense and Cardamom onto the stomach reflex points in the morning.
- Wild Orange – massage onto the abdomen
- Peppermint – take in a capsule, water or apply to abdomen
- Ginger – inhale from cupped hands
- Fennel – take in a capsule, water or apply to abdomen
- Celery seed – add to your morning smoothie
- Slim & Sassy metabolic blend of essential oils – add a drop to 4 oz of liquid or add to a veggie cap
- Digestzen digestive blend is a proprietary blend of Anise, Peppermint, Ginger, Caraway, Coriander, Tarragon and Fennel essential oils
How to use Digestzen for digestive support
- Using 1-2 drops of essential oil in a few drops of a carrier oil apply topically to the abdomen in a circular motion.
- Make a roller blend to carry with you. Add 30 drops of Digestzen and fill the rest with your favorite carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil (FCO).
- To use Digestzen internally you have a few options:
- Add a drop under your tongue
- Add add 1-2 drops in a few ounces of water and drink like a shot.
- Add 1-2 drops to a veggie capsule and take with water
- Take the ready to use Digestzen capsule which has 2 drops of the essential oil blend.
- For nausea add a drop to your palm and inhale.
- For car sickness make up an aroma inhaler ahead of time. I demonstrated an aroma inhaler in the video training above.
Digestive support for kids
Tamer is a roller blend made for kids but I personally love it! The unique combination of essential oils in Tamer Digestive Blend soothes and cools and has a milder scent. Essential oils included in this blend are: Spearmint, Japanese Peppermint, Ginger, Black Pepper, and Parsley Seed.
- Roll Tamer on abdomen in a clockwise motion.
- Roll Tamer in the palms, cup them around your nose and inhale.
- Colicky or constipated babies – just a swipe on the bottom of the feet.
Supplements for digestive support:
- Peppermint softgels – can be taken for digestive discomfort. These are enteric coated to reach the lower intestine where you need it most.
- Probiotics – We need friendly bacteria in our gut!
- Terrazyme digestive enzymes – our soil is depleted and doesn’t have the same minerals it once had. Therefore, our food is lacking the enzymes we need to properly digest our food. Take one digestive enzyme with each meal. For constipation, take 2 in the morning on an empty stomach with a tall glass of water. Add a drop of Lemon essential oil to the water for extra support.
Protocols for supporting your digestive system
My best advice is to get a notepad or notes section on your phone and start documenting how you feel daily and noting what you tried for your digestion. As you start to feel better you will better recognize the patterns and what is helping you and your body.
We all have a different chemistry and what works great for one person, may not work great for the next. Essential oils support our body systems and the natural healing process. Consistency is key! Keep using your oils and don’t give up.
Start with just one suggestion like adding Digestzen under your tongue or rubbing it onto your abdomen. See how you feel. Be consistent and take notes as you go. Then try adding another recommendation and use the same process until you have a protocol that works best for you and your digestive system.
I am here to support you on your healing journey. Reach out to me at email@example.com if you have any questions.