Are you looking into essential oils but don’t know much about them? Let’s review the basics of essential oils. But, can I be honest with you for a minute?
Essential oils won’t cure you. What they will do is support your bodies natural healing process along with a wellness lifestyle. Your body knows what to do and when you give it what it needs you will start to feel changes for the better.
Consistency is key! If you are willing to put your health first and be consistent (I didn’t say perfect!) you will experience healing. A good rule of thumb is the 80/20 rule. 80% good and 20% not so good. We are human and like to have fun and live our lives.
Changing your lifestyle does take common sense. Listen to your body. You are the expert. Take notes and pay attention to what is working for you and what is not working for you. Trust what you know is true for you.
Three things I want you to know about the basics of essential oils
- Essential oils are 100% natural and safe. They have no side effects or addictions. Essential oils are extracts from plants with amazing health benefits. CPTG essential oils are 50-70 times more powerful than herbs.
- Essential oils are more effective than many modern approaches to health problems. When combined with a wellness lifestyle essential oils address the root cause of the problem rather than just the symptom. They are lipid based and are able to pass through the oily cell membrane to effect the inside of our cells.
- Essential oils are more affordable than traditional medical care. Let me illustrate:
- When my daughter has ear discomfort we grab Lavender, Tea Tree and Basil. Rub it around her mastoid bone and down the sides of her neck. The discomfort goes away immediately. We can repeat this if necessary in a couple of hours.
- We have just saved time because we didn’t have to go to the doctor and the pharmacy for a prescription.
- A day of work was not missed. A day of school was not missed.
- We did not have to pay any copay’s for the visit or pharmacy.
- This is how we have addressed my daughter’s ear discomfort for the past five years. With a natural solution I have on hand at home that cost me less than a dollar per use.
Three ways to use essential oils
Most of us have had the experience of being put to sleep at the dentist. They place a mask with synthetic compounds over our mouth and nose, we breathe them in, and our body goes to sleep.
Essential oils work in much the same way. We inhale the essential oil and the aromatic compounds in essential oils work like chemical messengers that send signals to our brain, limbic system (emotional brain) and our entire body. This is how essential oils can effect our mood in less than 30 seconds.
Ways to use oils aromatically:
- Smell them from the palm of your hand or right out of the bottle
- Add to a diffuser to effect an entire room. This is going to be the best way to use essential oils around pets and small children. Diffusers disperse the essential oils into teeny tiny particles over a long period of time.
- With a little common sense diffusing oils is safe around pets. Allow them to roam freely and never enclose them in a room with a diffuser. If you observe odd behavior stop diffusing that oil.
- Make a room, body or pillow spray
Oils to use aromatically: Peppermint for energy, Wild Orange for happiness. Combine them for the best afternoon pick me up!
Topical use is especially beneficial for a localized effect. For children, elderly or those with sensitive skin dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil. Carrier oils are vegetable based oils such as coconut oil, almond oil, argan oil and jojoba oil. I prefer fractionated coconut oil “FCO” because it is odorless, stainless and absorbs well.
Carrier oils do not reduce the effectiveness of the essential oil. They slow absorption to minimize sensitivities and hold the essential oil in the tissue longer. This is very helpful when we are addressing an area of discomfort.
There are some oils that commonly cause discomfort and should always be diluted. You will see these referred to as “hot oils.” They are Oregano, Cassia, Cinnamon Bark, Clove and Thyme. The “warm oils” are generally fine for most people but may cause sensitivity and they are Black Pepper, Lemongrass, Wintergreen, Peppermint and Lemongrass. No need to fear using them. Do a small spot test on the inside of the arm before first time use to check for sensitivity. If you have any discomfort simply add a carrier oil.
Citrus oils can cause photosensitivity. Do not use citrus oils on skin that will be exposed to the sun within 12 hours.
Ways to use oils topically:
- A popular way to use essential oils topically is to prepare a blend ahead of time and use a roller bottle. This makes our favorite blends convenient and ready to use.
- Add oils to a bath with epsom salt. Add them to the epsom salt first. This acts as an emulsifier. Oils and water do not mix and will float to the top of the water.
- Add to a fragrance free lotion or oil for a nice massage.
Areas to apply essential oils topically are on the bottom of the feet, down the spine, on pulse points or directly to the area of discomfort.
Oils to use topically: Deep Blue for discomfort, Frankincense for overall relaxation. Combine them for a one-two punch to sore muscles.
CPTG essential oils are safe for internal use and have many health benefits. It is important to note that when we talk about internal use we are only referring to doTERRA because of their CPTG standard. Every batch is third party tested to ensure purity and that there are no synthetics, contaminants or fillers.
Ways to use oils internally:
- Check if the essential oil bottle is labeled as safe for internal use.
- Add essential oils to a glass of water. Use glass or stainless steel containers as citrus oils can break down plastic.
- Drop sublingually under the tongue. This is going to be the fastest way for essential oils to enter the bloodstream.
Oils to use internally: Lemon in water for detoxing, Copaiba sublingually for whole body relief, On Guard in a capsule for immune support.
How to purchase doTERRA essential oils
Now that we have discussed the basics of essential oils you may be thinking I am ready to get started. Let’s do this!
The best way to help you choose the right kit for your needs is to schedule a private consultation. This gives me a chance to get to know your needs a little better and make some suggestions.
If you are ready to get started on your oil journey there are three ways to purchase. Go to my doTERRA website and click on Shop for retail or Become a Member for a wholesale account.
- Retail – this is full price and the most expensive way
- Wholesale – with the purchase of a $35 wholesale account you can enjoy purchases at 25% off for an entire year.
- NO AUTOSHIP OR FUTURE PURCHASE requirement with a wholesale account. This works just like a Costco card for essential oils. You can purchase when and if you want at wholesale pricing.
- Annual renewals are $25 and you receive a FREE Peppermint essential oil.
- Below Wholesale – with the purchase of a starter kit the wholesale account fee is waived. There are several starter kits to choose from. These kits include the most used essential oils and are further discounted. This offers significant savings when getting started.
My commitment to you:
This is exclusive to my customers and is not sponsored by doTERRA. Because I know these essential oils can change lives, I am committed to help you along your wellness journey:
- Private consultation via phone or zoom
- Ongoing weekly education
- Private Facebook community
- Welcome packet with some essentials to help get you started on your wellness journey.
Please reach out if you have any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org