Let’s learn about some of the best essential oils to use for summer. Summer has arrived and travel restrictions are being lifted. It’s my favorite time of the year. Whether it is annoying mosquitos or too much fun in the sun, I have some great essential oil tips for you to use this summer!
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. This includes some affiliate links and I may earn a small commission on products recommended at no extra cost to you.
The Best Essential Oils for Summer Master Class Notes
Peppermint essential oil
Peppermint essential oil is almost 50% menthol which gives us that cooling effect. Grab a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil if this causes discomfort. I have a friend that went to Haiti with Peppermint essential oil. She was the only one in her group that did not get bitten up by mosquitos.
- Rub a drop onto the back of your neck to help cool your body temperature down and ease head and neck tension.
- For a quick pick me up add a drop of Peppermint and Lemon to your palm and inhale to help open up your airways.
- For bug bites add a drop with Lavender and some fractionated coconut oil.
Lemon essential oil
Do not use citrus essential oils or blends with citrus on skin that will be exposed to the sun within 12 hours. This can cause a photosensitivity reaction.
- Lemon is a natural degreaser. Great for removing anything sticky like tar on the bottom of your feet at the beach.
- Hydration is key in the summer months. Add a drop of Lemon to your water (check the label and only use essential oils safe for ingestion)
- Combine Lemon, Lavender and Peppermint for seasonal discomforts. You can add 2 drops each in a couple of ounces of water or add to a veggie capsule. I don’t go a day without this combo!
- Freshen your hotel room by adding a drop of Lemon to a cotton ball and placing it inside the air vent.
Lavender essential oil
Lavender is calming and soothing for our skin and our emotions.
- For sleep or stress inhale a drop from the inside of your palms and rub onto the back of your neck or bottom of the feet. Our feet have large pores and absorb the essential oil quickly reaching the bloodstream in 30 seconds.
- For a bloody nose apply a drop across the bridge of your nose.
- Apply to the skin along with Peppermint for bug bites or minor skin irritation. You can add a drop of each to a carrier oil (fractionated coconut oil) or an unscented lotion. My kids like to use fresh aloe vera gel along with the essential oil.
Tea Tree essential oil
A must for all things skin! If you ask my husband his answer will always say “grab the tea tree” and most of the time he is right!
- For ear issues from flying or swimming rub a drop of tea tree essential oil it into the mastoid bone behind the ear.
- Tea tree can be used for minor cuts and scrapes. Apply a drop diluted with a carrier oil directly around the area.
- Add to shampoo for a flaky scalp.
- Forget your deodorant? Can be used as a natural deodorant.
TerraShield repellent blend
TerraShield is a proprietary essential oil blend also known as “bug kryptonite”
- Apply directly to skin before going outside as a natural insect repellent. Don’t forget areas such as ankles, back of knees and the back of your neck. Carry it with you on a hike.
- Make a spray with distilled water or witch hazel and spray the corners of your sheets or tent to repel insects while sleeping.
- Safe for our furry friends. Apply to your palm along with a carrier oil and pet the back of their neck before a hike. Do not use this along with other pest repellents.
On Guard protective blend
A proprietary essential oil blend that is a powerhouse for immune support when used daily.
- Have a tickle in your throat? Add a drop to a glass of water, gargle and swallow to soothe minor throat discomfort.
- Dilute with a carrier oil and apply to the spine or bottom of the feet for daily immune support.
- Can be used directly to your hands for cleansing on the go.
Digestzen digestive blend
A proprietary essential oil blend for all things digestion. Have one too many smores or overindulge at last night’s feast?
- Rub a drop diluted with a carrier oil onto your abdomen in a circular motion.
- Put a drop directly under your tongue for quick digestive relief or add a drop to a few ounces of water.
- Inhale from your palms to relieve nausea in the car or airplane.
Breathe respiratory blend
A proprietary essential oil blend for the respiratory system.
- The masks are coming off but may still be required in areas such as public transportation. Inhale a drop in your palms or add a drop inside your mask.
- Before heading out for a hike rub some Breathe on your chest and back of neck. Take a moment to inhale from your palms. Ahhhhh!!!! Opens up those airways.
- For seasonal discomfort apply diluted to the chest and back area.
- Apply to the bottom of the big toe at bedtime for snoring.
Correct-X Essential Ointment
This little tube should be in every Mom’s purse or diaper bag. Do you have accident prone family members? I often say I wish I could wrap my daughter in bubble wrap (I know it isn’t very eco-friendly!)
- Apply to areas of need such as minor cuts, scrapes, chapped lips, etc….
Deep Blue Rub
This one is easy! Apply it where you feel discomfort. Especially helpful for those mornings after a weekend of fun.
- Apply before and after that hike or physical activity.
- Add moist heat or a warm shower for deeper penetration of the oils.
- Rub it into leg cramps or growing pains.
- Make sure you wash your hands after application. I don’t want you to experience a tingle when you tinkle.
Join our Community
This is a brief overview of each essential oil. There are so many more uses. Are you looking for more essential oil education? In our free Facebook community I give ongoing education about essential oil uses, safety tips and recipes.
Are you on Facebook? Join my supportive community on Facebook. Every month we hold a free training in this community. Join us!
What does it mean to dilute an essential oil?
Essential oils are very potent and concentrated. One drop of Peppermint essential oil is equivalent to 28 cups of Peppermint Tea! Diluting an essential oil means you are adding a few drops of a “carrier oil” along with the essential oil. A carrier oil is a vegetable based oil such as fractionated coconut oil, jojoba, avocado, olive, almond oil, etc… My favorite carrier oil is fractionated coconut oil because it does not stain, has no odor and absorbs nicely into the skin. Carrier oils help minimize sensitivity and do not dilute the effectiveness of the essential oil.
If at any time you experience discomfort from an essential oil apply a vegetable based oil aka carrier oil. Water will not help! Oil and water do not mix and water will simply repel the oil and drive it deeper into the skin.
Is it safe to use a citrus oil on your skin and expose it to the sun?
Although citrus essential oils are some of the best essential oils for summer I do have a word of caution. To avoid a photosensitivity reaction, it is not recommended you do not apply a citrus essential oil topically within 12 hours of going into the sun. If you are going to be in the sun skip the citrus essential oil or apply it on an area that will not be exposed to the sun.
The Best Essential Oils for Summer Recipes
Natural Insect Repellent Recipe
INSECT REPELLENT WITH A BOOST
- 2 drops Lemon Eucalyptus oil
- 2 drops TerraShield repellent blend
- 2 drops Lemongrass oil
- Add to carrier oil or lotion for a bug repellent.
- Rub it into the ankles, wrists, back of neck.
- Add to an outdoor diffuser to keep bugs away while enjoying a picnic or bbq.
- Make a body spray with witch hazel
DIY DOG COLLAR:
Add the above insect repellent recipe into 1-2 oz of water. Soak the top portion of the dog collar for 20 minutes and allow to dry completely before putting on your pet. Re-soak the collar every 2 weeks to keep pesty bugs away. *Do NOT use this along with other flea repellents
2 drops each in 2-3 oz water or veggie cap: Lemon, Lavender and Peppermint OR TriEase capsule.
Repeat as necessary 2-3 times a day.
1 drop Tea Tree diluted behind ear on the bone 2-3 times a day.
After Sun Care
Mix 15-20 drops each Lavender and Frankincense with coconut oil in a 4 oz jar + Peppermint for extra relief
Bug Bite Soother
Use Purify cleansing blend OR Add a drop of lavender and Peppermint to bite
The Best Essential Oils for Summer Diffuser Blends
For those looking for simple ways to eliminate toxins in their home, aromatic products are some of the easiest places to start. Saying goodbye to synthetic fragrances from candles, air fresheners, and other scented products in your space doesn’t mean you have to give up the wonderful aromas you love so much. Pure essential oils help freshen the air in your home, while also providing refreshing, invigorating, and lovely aromas straight from the plant.
Where to Buy Essential Oils
Essential Oils are everywhere these days. But not all oils are created equally. The use of an essential oil is systemic meaning it reaches your entire body whether it is synthetic or pure. This is the great gift of pure essential oils and the reason to avoid synthetics. I am here to teach you how to use only pure essential oils.
If you are new to the essential oil world a Starter Set is the best way to get started.
You will have the essential oils on hand for everyday uses that may come up and save the most money. Starter sets are priced below wholesale and include the wholesale account which is normally $35. With a doTERRA wholesale account you can enjoy wholesale pricing for an entire year. That is 25% off all purchases. Wholesale accounts work just like a Costco card. You can access your account and make purchases as little or as often as you wish. There is no auto-ship or minimum purchase requirements.
A huge bonus is that you get me! I am here to help you learn how to use essential oils and answer your questions.
View the Starter Sets currently available here. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Learn more about essential oils
Would you like to learn more? Check out the Classes tab to view upcoming and recorded trainings.
Wishing you a safe and happy summer!