When you hear an essential oil referred to as “a hot oil” what comes to mind? A “hot oil” is likely to cause sensitivity when applied directly to the skin. So it’s recommended to always dilute oregano oil before applying to the skin. If you have ever gotten oregano on your skin then you know exactly what I am talking about. Let’s learn about how to use oregano essential oil, its benefits, top uses and safety.
Oregano essential oil is steam distilled from the leaves of the oregano plant and is grown in Turkey. The leaves of the oregano plant are steam distilled.
Top Uses for Oregano essential oil
- Add to a veggie capsule to maintain healthy immune function and support your respiratory system.
- For seasonal discomforts add 2 drops each to a veggie capsule: lemon, oregano and copaiba.
- Add to water and a spray bottle for a surface cleanser
- Make a sinus steamer with 1-2 drops of oregano, lemon, tea tree and peppermint added to a cup of steaming water.
- Rub diluted oregano onto your abdomen for digestion support.
- Make a veggie capsule along with marjoram and frankincense for those achy days.
- Combine with Frankincense to aid in removing skin tags.
- Apply diluted with a carrier oil to toes or irritated skin to promote healing.
Essential oil safety
Pure oregano essential oil can be used aromatically, topically and internally. It’s considered a “hot oil” and should always be diluted with a carrier oil. For those with sensitive skin or young and elderly it is recommended to apply to the bottom of the feet.
If you were to get oregano on your skin and feel that sting you may be tempted to run to the sink. But rinsing your skin with water is only going to make you feel worse! Because oil and water do not mix and actually repel one another, you are only pushing that essential oil into the skin further. What you want to do is grab a “carrier oil.” A carrier oil is a vegetable based oil such as coconut oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, argan oil, avocado oil, grapeseed oil, etc…
Never place essential oils in your eyes, ears, nose or sensitive areas and citrus oils should not be applied to skin that will be exposed to the sun within 12 hours.
There are many cautions with oregano and pets. Seek advice from a veterinarian that specializes in using essential oils. My favorite vet is Janet Roark, DVM and her website is called Essential Oil Vet. If you are diffusing oregano in your home follow safe practices around pets. When diffusing essential oils never leave your pet enclosed in a room with a running diffuser and allow them to leave the room. If you notice any odd behavior stop diffusing that oil.
For more safety information, recipes and dilution charts download a FREE 10-page guide to Essential Oils Made Easy!
How to use oregano aromatically
When inhaled essential oils can positively effect our mood and emotions in less than 30 seconds. The scent molecules of the essential oil enter through the olfactory nerve which sends messages to the limbic system. The limbic system acts as the command center for our mood and emotions.
Diffusing is great to freshen the air and provide aromatherapy for the entire family at the same time.
Oregano diffuser blends
Add the drops of essential oil to the diffuser and fill to the fill line with tap water. Filtered water is not necessary. Each diffuser is a little different and you may have to refer to manufacturer directions. Your diffuser may have a timed setting, lights and an intermittent setting.
Clean the Air
- 1 drop Oregano oil
- 4 drops Lemon oil
- 3 drops Wild Orange oil
- 1 drop of Oregano oil
- 3 drops of Frankincense oil
- 4 drops of On Guard protective blend
- 5 drops Tea Tree oil
- 1 drop of oregano oil
How to use oregano topically
Topical use is simply placing the oil on your skin where it is absorbed into the tissue and enters the bloodstream. We can dilute essential oils with a carrier oil (such as fractionated coconut oil) to slow that absorption and avoid sensitivity. To effect the whole body apply them topically to the bottom of the feet, spine or navel.
To avoid photosensitivity with citrus essential oils do not apply on skin that will exposed to the sun within 12 hours.
Essential oils can be applied to the skin directly from the bottle. To dilute the oil first add the carrier oil to your palm and then add the essential oil. Rub your palms together and rub it in or dip your finger in the mixture and apply where you need it.
Immune Boost Roller Blend
Add the drops of essential oil to a 15mL roller bottle and fill the rest with fractionated coconut oil or your favorite carrier oil. Roll on the bottom of the feet and along the spine for immune support.
- 5 drops of Oregano oil
- 10 drops of Frankincense oil
- 10 drops of Lemon oil
- 10 drops Tea Tree oil
- 10 drops of On Guard protective blend
How to use oregano internally
Oregano essential oil is only safe for internal use with pure essential oils. Look for a nutritional facts label and internal use directions on the bottle before using an essential oil internally. Do Not Use fragrance essential oils internally. Use glass or stainless steel when adding essential oil to your water especially with citrus oil as they break down plastic.
- If you get the oregano burps add MCT oil to your veggie capsule.
- In the kitchen use a drop of oregano in place of 1 tsp dried oregano.
- Add some flavor to your marinara sauce. Take a toothpick and insert it into the bottle and swirl it into your recipe.
- Use oregano internally to aid digestion.
Oregano Veggie Capsule Recipes
Add the drops of essential oil to the veggie capsule and take with water. Veggie capsules are designed to dissolve when taken with water so don’t prepare them ahead of time.
- 2 drop Oregano oil
- 2 drops Lemon oil
- 2 drops Copaiba oil
- 2 drops of Oregano oil
- 2 drops of Lemon oil
- 2 drops of On Guard protective blend
- 2 drops Marjoram oil
- 2 drops of oregano oil
- 2 drops of Frankincense oil
What makes doTERRA essential oils different?
Have you seen essential oils in the grocery store and wonder why they are so cheap? Well, you can bet that bottle is synthetic grade and does not have the therapeutic benefits of a pure essential oil. The same thing goes for oils on retail sites such as Amazon. Anyone can buy a replacement essential oil bottle top for .50 cents that will seal as if it was a brand new bottle of essential oil. Buyer Beware! The percentage of adulterated essential oils on the market today is staggering.
There are four main grades of essential oils. Synthetic oils lack purity and can be harmful to the body. These include things like laundry, perfumes and body products. Food grade are measured by the GRAS standard (Generally Regarded As Safe). This is a much higher standard required for internal use, but this grade is mainly used to flavor food and lacks therapeutic benefits. Therapeutic grade is not well regulated. These are generally used for massage, aroma or cosmetic use and have a low standard to pass to qualify.
Certified Pure Tested Grade (CPTG) is exclusive to doTERRA essential oils. Every batch must pass in-house and third party testing to guarantee that no foreign contaminants or fillers exist. This is a standard that far exceeds organic labeling requirements.
Do you want to add Oregano to your Self Care Toolbox?
CURRENT DOTERRA CUSTOMERS: Purchase oregano by logging into your doTERRA account to receive 25% off retail (wholesale pricing). You can order a Standard Order or use the Loyalty Rewards Program and earn points back for free product.
NEW TO DOTERRA: Essential oils can be purchased individually at retail pricing OR just like a Costco card or Amazon Prime you can pay the $35 wholesale account fee and get 25% off retail for an entire year. doTERRA also has starter sets bundled with the most popular essential oils that are handy to have in your home when you need them. With a starter set also known as “enrollment kit” the wholesale account fee of $35 is waived and FREE shipping is included!
- Retail is like walking into the store and purchasing full price off the shelf. Go to my.doterra.com/terrifoster and choose “shop”
- Wholesale is 25% off retail pricing. This is like walking into Costco and getting an account to shop. doTERRA wholesale memberships are $35 for the first year and $25 to renew annually. Add the membership to your cart and individual products at my.doterra.com/terrifoster
- Enrollment Kits offer below wholesale savings! Choose an enrollment kit and get the wholesale account fee waived along with a FREE room diffuser and FREE shipping!
The Top 10 essential oils
Have on hand the most popular essential oils that are handy to have in your home when you need them. The top 10 essential oils address issues such as digestion, energy, sleep, minor discomfort, skin and more!
- Lemon is uplifting
- Lavender is calming
- Peppermint is energizing
- Frankincense is grounding and great for skin
- Oregano for immunity
- Tea Tree for skin
- Deep Blue soothing blend for minor discomfort
- Breathe respiratory blend for respiratory support
- On Guard protective blend for immune support
- DigestZen digestive blend aids digestion